If I had to tell you about the last time I enjoyed Sedgwick’s Old Brown Sherry I don’t think you’d be able to look at me the same way. Let’s just say that it was at a music festival (why do these things always happen at festivals) and myself and a friend were battling it out on the banks of a river being filmed whilst gyrating to “Turn Down for what” there may possibly, maybe, be a video on YouTube-or not.
That being said, what better way to reminisce over the good old (brown sherry) days than a simple burger with friends, some Sedgwicks by the fire and a fat binge session of Game of Thrones, here’s what you’ll need;
The Sedgwick’s burger
For the patties
750g beef mince
200g chorizo sausage, finely chopped
10ml smoked paprika
5ml salt and freshly ground black pepper
60ml olive oil
For the Sedgwick’s caramelized onions
5 onions, thickly sliced
2.5mg brown sugar
80ml Sedgwick’s Old Brown
For the Sedgwick’s candied bacon
125ml Sedgwick’s Old Brown
60mg brown sugar
250g streaky bacon
- Combine the beef mince, chorizo and smoked paprika. Season everything with the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime start with the onions: heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and fry them until they start to caramelize. Season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the brown sugar and caramelize them for another 5 minutes.
- Add the Sedgwick’s Old Brown and reduce until the onions becomes sticky. Set the onions aside.
- For the bacon, preheat the oven to 180°C. Soak the bacon in the Sedgwick’s Old Brown for 30 minutes. Line the bacon on a baking tray, sprinkle the brown sugar over it and bake it in the oven. After 10 minutes, turn the bacon over and return it to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until it’s caramelized and crispy.
- For the patties, heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Shape the mince into tennis-size balls. Rub each mince ball with the olive oil and grill them for 8 minutes on each side or until it’s done to your liking.
- Serve the patties on toasted brioche buns with the bacon and onions on top.
Follow the Sedgewicks on Twitter at @SedgwicksOB #sharethewarmth | Facebook at Sedgwick’s Old Brown or on Instagram at Sedgwicksoldbrown