In a city that never sleeps, there’s brunch.
The Federal on the bustling 7th Sreet of Melville , which opened its doors in September 2016, has quickly become the go-to place for a quick, tasty bite to eat.
A industrial styled space that feature exposed brick, copper counter accents, exposed “naked” bulbs and double volume ceilings.
There are various options for dining personally seated on diner styliesd red and white patent leather chairs at pine table tops or communial dining on the upper level with enough seating for up to 16 people.
Perfect for a cycle group or family styled brunch however if you’re like myself and simply popping in for a cup of perfectly stretched coffee and an unconventional “Fed” Benedict these a bar best for brunch and some beers.
Chef James Diack (creative & chef behind Coobs and The National) says that “Since opening five months ago, we’ve seen how our customers come here as a comfort pit-stop away from home” and has now decided to offer this meandering Melville visitors to eat during brunch time, which will run from 09h00 to 12h00.
The menu will be a simple one, yet sticking with the inspired NYC deli vibe and a focus on good quality produce.
James grew up on a farm in the Magaliesburg, this means that produce is seasonal which the menu will mirror.
Brightside Farm, Diacks’s Family farm, boasts a three-hectare terrior of vegetables, herbs and fruit which serve as Chef Diack’s inspiration and supplier for his three eateries.
Along with this herbaceous offering acorn-fed wild board, lamb, duck and the occasional pigeon or guinea fowl are also supplied to create beautiful dishes, any time of the day.
Think dishes like:
- Huevos A La Flamenca: three organic eggs baked and served in a pan with seared spinach, chorizo and fresh tomato
- Moorish Eggs: Free range lamb meatballs and eggs poached in a fragrant tomato sauce
- Vegan Eggs Benedict: tofu and turmeric spiced cakes served on a potato rosti topped with spinach and vegan friendly hollandaise sauce
- The Fed Benedict: organic, free range poached eggs served on a sweet potato rosti and seared spinach, topped with wild boar bacon and hollandaise sauce. Slow roasted tomato served on the side.
- The Fed Brunch: two organic eggs done to your preference served with wild boar bacon, a sweet potato rosti and a handmade lamb banger
- Louisiana Pancakes: American style pancakes served with either wild boar bacon OR fried chicken topped with fried banana and maple syrup
- All American Granola: toasted and rolled oats, dried fruits and assorted nuts mixed through with maple syrup, coconut and yoghurt
Dishes are R70 and include Tea & coffee. Absolute steal!
Happy Brunching, and if you’re my kind of people it will be with a bottle of MCC or locally brewed beer at the table.
It’s called boozy brunch for a reason.
The Federal: +27 10 900 4876 / email@example.com
The Federal is located on the corner of Second Avenue and Seventh Street Melville.