A good steak, like football, wine and politics is a very sensitive topic often best not discussed whilst the boys are out having a pint. Everyone has an opinion on who offers the best meat, where was it sourced, the amount of marbling on each cut, whether a fillet is better or fat rump that would give Kim Kardashian a lashing and then how was this slap of rump prepared. Hot flame, medium rare, with sauce or au natural?
That’s why its best to turn to The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships 2016 with 115 steakhouses competing to win the crown and become South Africa’s Steakhouse Champion for 2016 announced at Little Havana in Umhlanga Rocks, Durban, on Tuesday 21st June.
The public battled it out by voting, via Facebook and SMS, and their favourite Twenty Steakhouses went to the judges’ round – and ultimately it was The Local Grill in Parktown North that claimed top honours for the third time in four years.
Here’s where to have boys night or you’re next business lunch:
- Winner: The Local Grill, Parktown North, Johannesburg – Gauteng (2013, 2014 and 2016 Champion)
- Runner-Up: Little Havana, Umhlanga Rocks – KwaZulu Natal (2015 Champion)
- 3rd place: The Godfather, Centurion, Pretoria – Gauteng
- 4th place: Longhorn Grill, Bloemfontein – Free State
- 5th place: Havana Grill, Durban – KwaZulu Natal
- 6th place: The Cricketer, East London – Eastern Cape
- 7th place: The Grumpy Griller, George – Southern Cape
- 8th place: Cattle Baron, Mossel Bay – Southern Cape
As a once Durbanite, i am proud that despite the flak this beach bum province gets for it’s lack of fine dining spots, this year TWO Durban steak houses haven taken spots in the top ten. Slow Clap!